Friday, 15 June 2007

Netherlands




My first international President’s Meeting (IPM2006) held in Amsterdam and second time in Europe, boy was it cold – yeah snow cold!!! The 1st picture is of Jeanne, Ildi and me and the 2nd is the Dutch princess – we had to stand when she came in and I was not in the mood but when you’re in Rome you do what roman’s do, right!

Now when we talk about meeting of the brains we talk about IPM i.e. AIESEC was present then in 90 countries and 90 national presidents of AIESEC countries meet for 10 days to discuss the global direction of the organisation.

Sessions start at about 09h00 and end at about 10h00, then we have parties till odd hours of the morning but you got to be at morning plenary by 09h00 so my body got used to sleeping about 4 -5 hours maximum yet be at your sharpest because we always have company representatives coming to run sessions. That is where I met some of my greatest friends across the world – I miss you guys where ever you are!!

Now the interesting part came after the conference when we went to the red-light district, now if you don’t know this is the famous ‘hooker’s’ district – I heard that other Europeans come in for the weekends to this place , Ohh yes dagga is legal as well in Netherlands so you can imagine the collaboration on Friday nights! There you will find about anything sexually defined, prostitutes are on display - literally like clothes on a plastic model for a clothe shop, I was shocked out of my skull, post-cards had …well…drawings on them – not the kinda post-card you’d send home maybe friends! And the final shocker is that prostitutes PAY TAX now that was just …just …well awesome! I mean where else do they have such disciplines except in Europe.

Anyway everyone owns a bicycle in Netherlands, a mother can do grocery shopping – put it on the bike with two kids at the same time and still ride home…..trust me I kid you not.

I stayed with one of our old trainees Amelia from Australia, if you want the coolest, calm person to talk to then that’s her! She was a great host and I will never forget her hospitality. Now she’s back in Australia – hey Mills.

No comments: